1804: Act of parliament passed to build new Gaol in Cork.
1808: Distillery fields site chosen. This site flooded most of the year
1810: Present site chosen.
1820: Work began on the building of Gaol.
1824: Completion of building; first prisoners arrive.
1828: First execution, outside front gate.
1848: Imprisonment of “Young Irelanders” in Sunday’s Well.
1858: Water supply connected and male cells heated.
1865: The Galtee Boy (J.S.Casey) and other Fenians, imprisoned in Sunday’s Well, and gas lights fitted.
1868: Last of the public executions took place.
1870: Western wing of prison altered.
1878: Becomes Women’s Prison
1900: 20 new cut-stone steps with new side walls constructed at prison entrance.
1919: Police guard outside for visitors, Countess Markievicz and other republicans in Gaol. Conditions reasonable inside.
1922: Prison infested with vermin, a suicide net stretched by the iron stairs. Gas light in corridors and radiator pipes in cells.
1923: Civil war prisoners interned, then prison closed, and all remaining prisoners transferred to other Gaols.
1927: Cork Broadcast Station (6CK) opened in Gaol.
1934: All Gaol fittings disposed of in auction in the Gaol.
1958: Radio station closes down.
1950’s/80’s: The Post Office Years.
1993: Phase one of restored prison opened by the Right Honourable Lord Mayor of Cork, Cllr. Micheál Martin, T.D.