The technicians who manned the station in the forties were: Paddy Buckley, Billy Clifford, Dan Collins, Paul O Donovan, and Paddy Condon whose family lived in a house in the prison yard. The transmitter was in the western wing, and the studio was upstairs towards the centre of the building. Security for the station in the fifties was provided by a fully armed guard who had his own room in the building. The first sound broadcast in 1927 was a milk cart overturning on the “cobbles” outside at five o clock in the morning, when the transmitters were left open to pick up sound. Part of the technician’s duty was travelling around Cork City and County detecting radio interference and then assisting in eliminating the problem.
In 1957 work commenced on the installation of a new Studio in Union Quay, and this was officially opened by Mr. Kevin Boland T.D. on the 4th June, 1958, thereby bringing the final curtain down on the old studio in the Women’s Gaol in Sunday’s well for evermore. However a live broadcast was revived in the western wing in November 1994, when Pat O Donovan produced a show from there for Cork Local Radio. He was ably assisted by Steve Bolger, Alan Short, and friends, and the programme brought back many memories of other days in that famous place, to the many people who were tuned into the broadcast on that particular day. When the second phase of the broadcasting began in the Municipal School of Music in 1957, the Regional Officer appointed was Sean MacReamoinn, and among the new staff when it opened in Union Quay in 1958 were Andrias O Gallchoir and John O Sullivan.